American Stonehenge – The Georgia Guidestones
Elbert County, Georgia is the home of one of the greatest modern enigmas in the United States. The Georgia Guidestones form a huge granite structure that contains very cryptic writing, and whose origins are steeped in mystery.
Standing 20 ft tall and consisting of six stone tablets, the Guidestones were commissioned to be built in 1979 by a man using the pseudonym R.C. Christian. Some say that this is a nod to the secret brotherhood of the Rosicrucians. Rumors and conspiracies that this structure was the work of some secret society have dominated speculation, especially given the nature of the text involved.
The Georgia Guidestones contain a list of 10 guidelines written in 8 different languages on the faces of the 4 largest stones. The languages featured are English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian. The messages contained in these 10 “commandments” on the surface may seem reasonable, even practical. That said, further examination has caused some to worry. The 10 principles outlined are as follows:
2. Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.
Why the fuss? It does seem like there are some realistic goals set forth by this monument. However, what has people skeptical is the underlying context implying that humanity as we know it is a burdensome in general and must be dealt with. This fear stems from theories that there is a shadow government lurking behind the scenes, and the members of this cloak and dagger group are generally members of a larger fraternity of secret societies like the Freemasons or Illuminati. Ultimately it is a fear of a New World Order that is said to consist of powerful men who would like to see the Earth’s population dramatically lessened through the use of eugenics and martial law maneuvers. It is believed that these men do not wish to see this population reduction for the sake of the Earth, but rather as a means to better assert control.
In this context, the guidelines to appear to take on a more sinister meaning.
Maintain humanity under 500,000,000. Given that the the Earth’s population is currently nearing 7 billion, this would mean a dramatic decrease in numbers. Also, Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity could be seen as a call for forced sterilizations and other limits on reproductive rights. Avoid petty laws and useless officials is often cited as a call for a police state, or martial law; eliminating local law enforcement and replacing them with National or World officials under one umbrella. The theories go on and on.
Author and researcher Mark Dice explores the Georgia Guidestones at length in his book The Illuminati: Facts & Fiction.
Near the Georgia Guidestones is an explanatory tablet, that outlines the dimensions of the monument, as well as the astrological significance. There are other facts listed here, such as the date erected and the languages included. The following is an exact listing of the information contained, which can also be seen on the Official Web Site of The Georgia Guidestones.
At the center of each tablet edge is a small circle, each containing a letter representing the appropriate compass direction (N, S, E, W).
At the top center of the tablet is written:
The Georgia Guidestones
Center cluster erected March 22, 1980
Immediately below this is the outline of a square, inside which is written:
Let these be guidestones to an Age of Reason
Around the edges of the square are written the names of four ancient languages, one per edge. Starting from the top and proceeding clockwise, they are:
- Babylonian cuneiform
- Classical Greek
- Egyptian hieroglyphics
On the left side of the tablet is the following column of text:
1. channel through stone
indicates celestial pole.
2. horizontal slot indicates
annual travel of sun.
3. sunbeam through capstone
marks noontime throughout
Author: R.C. Christian
(a pseudonyn) [sic]
Sponsors: A small group
of Americans who seek
the Age of Reason
Placed six feet below this spot
To Be Opened on
The words appear as shown under the time capsule heading; no dates are engraved.
On the right side of the tablet is the following column of text:
- 1. OVERALL HEIGHT – 19 feet 3 inches (5.9 m)
- 2. TOTAL WEIGHT – 237, 746 POUNDS (107 tons)
- 3. FOUR MAJOR STONES ARE 16 feet (4.9 m),
- FOUR INCHES (102 mm) HIGH, EACH WEIGHING
- AN AVERAGE OF 42, 437 POUNDS.
- 4. CENTER STONE IS 16 feet (4.9 m), FOUR-
- INCHES HIGH; WEIGHS 20, 957
- 5. CAPSTONE IS 9 feet (2.7 m), 8-INCHES
- LONG; 6 feet (1.8 m), 6-INCHES WIDE;
- 1-foot (0.30 m), 7-INCHES THICK. WEIGHS
- 24,832 POUNDS.
- 6. SUPPORT STONES (BASES) 7-FEET,
- 4 INCHES LONG 2 feet (0.61 m) WIDE.
- 1-foot (0.30 m), 4 INCHES THICK, EACH
- WEIGHING AN AVERAGE OF 4,875
- 7. SUPPORT STONE (BASE) 4-FEET,
- 2 1/2 INCHES LONG, 2 feet (0.61 m), 2-INCHES
- WIDE; 1-foot (0.30 m), 7-INCHES THICK.
- WEIGHT 2,707 POUNDS.
- 8. 951 cubic feet (26.9 m3) GRANITE.
- 9. GRANITE QUARRIED FROM PYRAMID
- QUARRIES LOCATED 3 MILES WEST
- OF ELBERTON, GEORGIA.
Below the two columns of text is written the caption:
The names of eight modern languages are inscribed along the long edges of the projecting rectangles, one per edge. Starting from due north and moving clockwise around so that the upper edge of the northeast rectangle is listed first, they are:
Below is a list of items that discuss the Guidestones and/or related relevant information. Click on any product to learn more.
What do you think? Is this simply a monument constructed by a wealthy idealist calling for a more harmonious world, or is there something far darker afoot?
Wired Magazine did a very thorough article on the Guidestones which can be viewed here: